Fri, 01 Dec|
Machame Gate (Pick up : Hotel in Moshi)
Special for French 6-Day Kilimanjaro Climb via Machame Route: A Journey to the Roof of Africa at 1490 USD
Pour ceux qui cherchent une aventure avec un temps limité en tête, l'itinéraire Machame de 6 jours est un choix exceptionnel. Cet itinéraire offre un profil d'acclimatation optimal, exposant progressivement les grimpeurs à des altitudes plus élevées. Cependant, il est important de noter que l'itinér
Time & Location
01 Dec 2023, 09:00 – 06 Dec 2023, 17:00
Machame Gate (Pick up : Hotel in Moshi), Mt Kilimanjaro, Tanzania
About the event
Special for French speakers : 6-Day Kilimanjaro Climb via Machame Route: A Journey to the Roof of Africa
For those with a time-constrained adventure in mind, the 6-day Machame Route is a stellar choice. This route offers an optimal acclimatization profile, gradually exposing climbers to higher elevations. However, it's important to note that the Machame Route demands a good level of fitness due to its challenging elevation gains and losses.
The six-day Machame variation is a demanding route. Particularly, the combination of day four and day five presents a strenuous schedule. Day four entails a full day of hiking from Barranco to Barafu, followed by a demanding summit day, starting around midnight. The 6-day Machame route requires approximately 19-24 hours of demanding walking, at extremely high elevation, with only 4-6 hours of sleep.
Day 1: Machame Gate to Machame Camp
- Elevation (ft): 5,400ft to 9,400ft
- Distance: 11 km
- Hiking Time: 5-7 hours
- Habitat: Rain Forest
The journey begins with a scenic drive from Moshi to the Mount Kilimanjaro National Park Gate, a journey that takes around 50 minutes. The trail leads through the village of Machame, nestled on the lower slopes of the mountain. Leaving the park gate, you'll wind through the enchanting rainforest, ascending a ridge. As you descend, the trail may get muddy and slippery, so gaiters and trekking poles are recommended. After a short distance, you'll reach the Machame Camp.
Day 2: Machame Camp to Shira Camp
- Elevation (ft): 9,400ft to 12,500ft
- Distance: 5 km
- Hiking Time: 4-6 hours
- Habitat: Moorland
The day starts with a departure from the rainforest, progressing along an ascending path. You'll cross a little valley, walk along a steep rocky ridge adorned with heather, until you reach the ridge's end. The route then turns west towards a river gorge. Rest, savor dinner, and overnight at the Shira campsite.
Day 3: Shira Camp to Lava Tower to Barranco Camp
- Elevation (ft): 12,500ft to 13,000ft
- Distance: 10 km
- Hiking Time: 6-8 hours
- Habitat: Semi Desert
From the Shira Plateau, the trail takes you east along a ridge, passing the junction towards the peak of Kibo. Heading southeast, you'll reach the "Shark’s Tooth," also known as Lava Tower. Shortly after, you'll come to a second junction leading to the Arrow Glacier. Continuing down, you'll arrive at the Barranco Hut at 13,000ft. This is a pivotal day for acclimatization, preparing your body for summit day.
Day 4: Barranco Camp to Karanga Camp to Barafu Camp
- Elevation (ft): 13,000ft to 15,000ft
- Distance: 9km
- Hiking Time: 8-10 hours
- Habitat: Alpine Desert
Post breakfast, the trail leads through the Barranco Wall to the Karanga Valley campsite. Moving forward, you'll hit the junction connecting with the Mweka Trail. As you ascend to the Barafu Hut, you'll complete the South Circuit, offering captivating views of the summit. Here, you'll rest, dine, and prepare for summit day, with Mawenzi and Kibo peaks in sight.
Day 5: Barafu Camp to Summit to Mweka Hut
- Elevation (ft): 15,300ft to 19,345ft (and down to 10,000ft)
- Distance: 5 km ascent / 12 km descent
- Hiking Time: 7-8 hours ascent / 4-6 hours descent
- Habitat: Arctic
In the wee hours of the morning, you'll journey towards the summit between the Rebmann and Ratzel glaciers. The climb to Stella Point, at 18,600 ft, is the most demanding portion. Witness a breathtaking sunrise (weather permitting) at Stella Point, and from there, encounter snow on the ascent to Uhuru Peak. This is the highest point on Mount Kilimanjaro and the entire continent of Africa.
The descent takes you to the Mweka Hut campsite, stopping at Barafu for lunch. Gaiters and trekking poles are advisable for the loose gravel. Expect mist or rain in the upper forest at Mweka Camp. In the evening, relish your final dinner on the mountain.
Day 6: Mweka Camp to Moshi
- Elevation (ft): 10,000ft to 5,400ft
- Distance: 10 km
- Hiking Time: 3-4 hours
- Habitat: Rain Forest
After breakfast, the descent continues to the Mweka Park Gate, where you'll receive your summit certificates. Lower elevations may be wet and muddy, so gaiters and trekking poles are recommended. From the gate, continue for another hour to Mweka Village, where a vehicle will await to transfer you back to your hotel in Moshi.
INCLUDE & EXCLUDE
What is included
- 2 Night Hotel accommodation in Moshi, a day before trek and a day after the trek
- Transportation to and from your selected route
- Transfer from Airport/Bus station in Moshi on arrival and return to airport/Bus station after climb.
- Quality, Waterproof, four-season private mountain sleeping tent
- Quality Mess tents with table and chairs
- Certified, experienced, English speaking mountain guides
- All Tanzanian National Park Fees
- Government Climbing Taxes
- Climbing permits
- All hot Meals prepared by our cook while on Mountain
- Guides, Porters and Cook Salaries
- Fair and ethical treatment of Porters
- Enough porters to carry your luggage
- Safety Equipment
- Emergency Oxygen
- Pulse Ox meter
- Hot drinks at every meal
- Water provided on climb, mineral water for the first day and boiled water every day
- Emergency rescue fees
- Personal Summit Certificate signed by the National Park and your Guide
What is not included
- International airfares and departure taxes
- Personal items and toiletries
- Alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks, laundry services, and visa and international flight ticket fees
- Private portable mobile toilet with a tent on the mountain
- Tips for guides, porters, and cook
- (Tipping guide: 10-20$US for Porter, 15-25$US for Cook, 20-30$US for Guide, per day and per group)
Embark on this extraordinary journey and conquer Kilimanjaro via the Machame Route, a true testament to human endurance and the awe-inspiring power of nature.